The Greater Boston Food Bank (GBFB) is the largest hunger relief organization in New England and among the largest food banks in the country. GBFB’s mission is to End Hunger Here in Eastern Massachusetts.
GBFB is looking for a committed professional to join the Health & Research Team as a SNAP Outreach Associate to assist with the day to day administrative responsibilities of GBFB’s SNAP Outreach Program.
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), the nation’s largest anti-hunger program, is a federal program which helps people buy the food needed for good health. GBFB assists clients with obtaining SNAP benefits as a SNAP Outreach Partner with the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA).
The SNAP Outreach Associate will work primarily over the phone to screen clients for eligibility, complete SNAP applications, provide follow up support, and advocate on behalf of clients as needed. The SNAP Outreach Associate will work closely with the Manager of Federal Food Programs to expand GBFB’s SNAP Outreach Program.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of SNAP-related policy issues to ensure completion of all tasks associated with SNAP application assistance.
- Assist with client follow up and make calls to make sure client applications and interviews are complete.
- Perform administrative duties related to upkeep of data in online client management software. Includes data entry and tracking of client records.
- Support program development and strengthen community partnerships by participating in program planning.
- Assist with other duties as assigned by management.
Experience and Skills:
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Bilingual preferred (Spanish)
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn new software and systems
- Detail-oriented with strong follow-through and time management skills
- Sensitivity to issues affecting low-income, food insecure populations
- Ability to read, write, and speak a non-English language (Spanish preferred)
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- High school diploma/GED required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least 2 years of experience in Social Service, Client Outreach, Nutrition, or Customer Service in a diverse environment required.
- Ability to learn and adhere to HIPAA laws and compliance (sensitive and confidential information)
- Ability to work positively and professionally with people of diverse experience and backgrounds
- Valid driver’s license; must be willing to travel within the GBFB Eastern MA service area
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
- Ability to meet physical requirements related to agency distribution or event execution as needed. This may include setting up tables and chairs, moving things, lifting boxes of cans that weigh 25 pounds, loading and unloading cars, etc.
- Ability to sit up to 3 hours at a time
- Ability to work within in an open air/cubicle environment