Title: Parent Liaison
Location: Kelly Elementary School
Reports To: School Principal(s) /Director of Parent Information Center
About Chelsea Public Schools:
The Chelsea Public Schools (CPS) is a gateway school system that welcomes and educates all students and families. In CPS, we believe all children are capable of achieving their personal best by ensuring a safe and supportive environment for school and classroom environments. The school system educates over 6,300 students in 10 schools, including a pre-K-1st grade school, 4 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, and 2 high schools. CPS is a culturally responsive school district. We believe that students learn best when they are engaged in meaningful relationships that fosters and promotes high expectations and risk taking. We are a district of multilingual students where languages are an asset to student development and growth. More information about CPS can be found on our website at www.chelseaschools.com/cps.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
To support families, teachers and community participants in efforts to assist students in achieving educational excellence and bridge the gap between home, school and community.
- Assists in the support and implementation of School/District goals of parent relations/involvement;
- Establishes and maintains a hospitable and welcoming drop-in that invites participation and partnership for a wide variety of activities for parents and families;
- In consultation with administration, develops a yearly plan for outreach activities to increase family and community partnerships with school;
- Conducts surveys of parents and staff to determine needs of activities of family involvement plan;
- Oversees activities of the plan by connecting parents and teachers, facilitates meetings;
- Coordinates activities to provide information and support to build on family strengths;
- Provides training for parents to help children at home with basic skills;
- Attends meetings with local organizations are a CPS/school representative;
- Provides translation services when needed;
- Creates and sends documents, brochures, etc;
- Contacts parents when needed through letters, phone conversations;
- Disseminates information to increase parent knowledge on district/school activities;
- Providing information to parents regarding school programs and resources;
- Conducting workshops on topics designed for parents;
- Attends school events as assigned by the Principal;
- Assists at Parent Information Center 2 days per week and additional services at peak times;
- Adjusts schedule to accommodate evening/weekend meetings;
- Maintains confidentiality;
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Principals.
- Minimum of high school diploma (college degree preferred)
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Computer skills required it create documents for office programs: power point, excel, word, etc
- Good organizational skills and work habits
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability or interest in working with children, adolescents and adults
- Ability to be self-directed
- Able to work some nights/weekends with an adjusted work schedule
- Fluency in English and one other language (Spanish strongly preferred)
- Citizenship, residency or work visa required
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Bilingual Spanish
Terms: This will be a non-bargaining unit position and is eligible for benefits. 40 hours per week (includes ½ hour unpaid lunch). This is a year round position.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Chelsea Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.